Monday, October 24, 2011

Taking a Break vs. Quitting

Recently, I’ve been analyzing the things in and around my life. Through this analysis, I am becoming more aware of what makes me tick. In doing so, I’ve had some profound revelations be revealed and confirmed by others who I consider have like minds. A more recent revelation has come from my love for gaming. It’s no secret that I enjoy playing video games. I’ve played, believe it or not, for close to 30 years! Regardless of what anyone says, playing video games challenges your senses, concentration and tests your determination to see tasks through until the end. As I thought about my desire for gaming and how involved I can become with a game, I posed a question via Twitter & Facebook: How do you know when to quit completely or when to take a break?

A good friend of mine, Mr. Griggs replied, “If you know what you need to do but keep making the same mistake, it’s time to take a break.” This is such a profound statement and should be applied to life in general. Taking a break is never a bad idea, if done for right reasons. Generally speaking, life can wear you down. If you’re giving all that you can and not seeing sufficient improvement, “it’s time to take a break.” To paraphrase another good friend of mine, Mr. Graves, in most cases, it’s good to get away from a situation so you can clear you mind and assess the situation from afar. Maybe you will discover that the game really isn’t worth any more of your time…or maybe you will find the answers you desire.

Lastly, my brother Mr. James told me, “You can never quit.” I believe in this completely. Quitting is never an option. If there is a way, I’m going to find it and I will be victorious! Please do not confuse this with any real life situation in which you may be in danger, physically or emotionally. Walking away or moving on are not the same as quitting. Quitting is when you haven’t given a sufficient effort. You didn’t try your best or even give the situation a chance to work out. In real life, you may need to walk away or move on. This doesn’t mean you’ve quit; you’re just choosing a different game to play; one where the rules and environment are conducive to your growth and success.

No comments:

Post a Comment