Monday, May 14, 2012

Retreat


I greet faces, familiar or estranged
with smiles that have been the same since
Before I was born, because it's not mine alone
My mom gave me what she had
My dad's influence overwhelms most
So when I shake your hand
I'm eyeing your throat just in case
I every need to take you out
As quick as possible, by any means
Is what he reminds me
My mind then ventures into more
Memories & promises, the ones
You make but one day you can't ignore
That your word has bound you
By constricting restraints
So I retreat in my mind, I contemplate.

I greet faces, familiar or estranged
with smiles that have been the same since
Before I was ever introduced to broken hearts
Broken spirits hurt worse, your world falls apart
It's more than heartache yet that feeds the fire
The longing for answers while too proud to inquire
Devoured by emotions the disappointment of self
The relentless thoughts of how things end
It's torturous because it only uncovers unrest
Sleepless nights produce pressure & stress
Simple tasks become impossible like
Dressing for the weather
So as I stand in the rain
And notice the small puddle become great
I retreat in my mind, I contemplate.

I greet faces, familiar or estranged
with smiles that have been the same since
Before I lost myself, between where I was
And where I am today, not remembering when
Tomorrow became yesterday
The sounds of play brings anxiety
Not sure what it means
My world's upside down, I'm watching chaotic scenes
I'm feeling my reality unravel at the seams
So this smile is not my smile
It's really a smoke screen
Through the fog with high beams
I wonder if anyone even knows or cares
Why I'm building these castle walls?
It's so when I retreat, no one can see me fall…
Then I can retreat in my mind and contemplate it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment