Monday, July 19, 2010

Obsessive Tendencies

On a recent flight, I was thinking of my future, things I want to do, places I want to see, the usual random thoughts and I came across an important question. Have I always had obsessive tendencies? I used to look at my habits as "the right way of doing things", perseverance or the passion of a perfectionist; at least that's how I saw it as a kid. Now, I may be simply classified as O.C.D., seems like a downgrade from a dynamic personality.

As a kid, my allowances/piggy bank savings were spent on Pac-Man, screaming in a rage if someone bumps me or talks to me, saying silly statements like, "your mom's leaving you." Who cares?! I'm in a groove, it's like the joy stick is an extension of my brain and my hand merely moves so that your feeble minds can comprehend the greatness that is right in front of you. This isn't just a game! It's a challenge! It's a refuge! It's a constant taunt at my ability and intelligence. If my score isn't higher than my previous attempt, I have wasted time, and time is only meant to be spent doing what you love with those that you love but if your love can't over-stand me then I'll just continue doing what I love.

My toy chest was probably the most organized of all of my family & friends. I took great pride in placing each action figure, car or miniature arcade game (Yes they had those. I had Donkey Kong, Q-Bert and PAC Man). I would position each one perfectly so that if someone were to accidentally bump into the chest, none would fall. I could also tell if anyone moved any of my toys by doing this as well. There were 4 shelves on the chest and each shelf would have a theme of figures: He-Man, Star Wars, Transformers and a random shelf that had G.I. Joe and other miscellaneous things on it. I would dust my toys and the shelves at least once a week. Below the shelves was the actual chest. Inside things were in order according to the side of the chest. Each side was for a particular type of toy. Sometimes this area would get a little messy but I could close it so no one could see. My toys were very special to me. To paraphrase the song from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, they were my escape into other worlds of pure imagination. What I would see would defy, explanation!

My clothes had to be ironed before I wore them or they just didn't feel right on my body. And of course there is a particular way to iron my clothes. Sleeves need creases, pants and shorts too! My undershirt needed to be wrinkle free as well so that it rested gently on my skin. It wasn't until I was about 25 that I began to force myself not to iron my gym clothes, but I still do sometimes because the color of my t-shirts may have that "bacon neck" thing going as shown in those Jordan Hanes commercials.

So now, with the successes of modern science I was relieved of my "eccentric" label and given a more "appropriate" one, "Slight Obsessive Compulsive Disorder" or "O.C.D." That's not something you can brag about. It's kind of a killjoy actually. Since it's Monday, I will say, "F the diagnosis! I'm just gonnabe eccentric!" That's how my dad describes me anyway! *sticks tongue out here*

No comments:

Post a Comment